Monday, January 12, 2009

When it's super cold...make art!

If you live here in Jackson, you know how cold it can get sometimes. -30f is pretty extreme for most people in this world. But some hearty artists in Jackson get inspired and actually venture outside during these cold spells to create art. Bland Hoke is the Center of Wonder's Ambassador of Public Art and he is responsible for the plethora of free public art that is sprouting up all over the valley for everyone's enjoyment. Add Ben Roth, Tony Birkholz and a few others into the mix with super cold weather and badly insulated buildings and you get amazing sculptures in front of my gallery. I loved coming to work the next day and seeing the spikey gas tank out front. Unfortunately, like Frosty, the artwork itself was made of the elements, thus it reacted to the sun and has slowly melted away into a few lonely stalagmites out front. I have a feeling that we will be experiencing a lot more of these impromptu, public art pieces. So if you missed it this time, keep your eyes open and enjoy!

30 Below 0, Impromptu Ice Sculpture from another being creative on Vimeo.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Gorgeous! I wish I could have been there! We've got to get you all some notice from national arts news outlets - I think they'd eat this up! I'll get working on it... :) Meg